For the build.xml files we use the following rules.
- Be careful when downloading stuff.
- ArgoUML is supposed to be a self-contained development environment. Some times it is better to have things downloaded from the ant script instead of from the repository. In that case separate the download-targets from the target that does building so that it is easy for everyone to know when their development machine is working against the Internet and when it is not.
- Public targets shall have descriptions. Non-public targets shall not have descriptions (write xml comments or echos instead).
- Use ant-built-ins for everything.
- ArgoUML is supposed to be a self-contains development environment. If you feel tempted to use other tools (perl, sed, nsgmls), don't! They are probably not present in all environments where we want to run a development environment.