The recommended way is to use the Eclipse as the development environment when developing ArgoUML. Here is the quickest, step by step instruction to set up your Eclipse development environment:
Download and install Eclipse. This is if you don't already have it installed. See http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/.
- You need the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers, Eclipse for RCP/Plug-in Developers, or Eclipse Classic 3.3.2.
Download and install Subclipse. This is if you don't already have it installed in your Eclipse. See http://subclipse.tigris.org/install.html.
- Download the Project Set File for the ArgoUML project and save it on your file system.
The main file is called argouml-core-projectset.psf and is available at http://argouml.tigris.org/nonav/psf/argouml-core-projectset.psf
- In a new workspace, Import the Project Set File. The project will download several Eclipse projects and automatically build them.
- If anything fails to build, try to do refresh and clean. This should work but there have been reports of problems at first download.
- Start ArgoUML using the ArgoUML configuration.
Details of this can be found at Setting up Eclipse 3.
If you want to work without Eclipse in Windows, the following commands will build ArgoUML from source and run it. If you are using Unix/Linux, the equivalent commands for your particular shell should work.
C:\Work>svn checkout http://argouml.tigris.org/svn/argouml/trunk/src http://argouml.tigris.org/svn/argouml/trunk/tools argouml --username guest Password: (give empty password if prompted) C:\Work>set JAVA_HOME=C:\Programs\jdkwhatever C:\Work>cd argouml C:\Work\argouml\src>build run A newly compiled ArgoUML will open in a new window.
Note: JDK Java5 or later is required
If you don't understand these instructions or they don't work, please read the rest of the chapter for more detailed instructions on how to build ArgoUML.